Nature Blog Network Future Earth: Back to Basics

Sunday 8 June 2008

Back to Basics

Did you celebrate "World Naked Bicycle Day" yesterday on June 7th?

The organisers around the world stress that it is about bicycle advocacy - drawing attention to transport that burns calories rather than fossil fuel. So yes, good on 'em (and no, cycling Arjay remains resolutely fully clothed) !

Just five years ago, I was crossing the street in Hanoi, with my eyes peeled as fleets of bicycles ebbed and flowed at a constant speed all around. Three years ago, I was crossing the street in Hanoi, with my heart in my mouth as a tidal wave of motor cycles had replaced the bikes. Now I'm told that I would take my life in my hands, as cars have started to replace the motorcycles. Scene repeated all over Asia - progress for some, regression for the planet.

So to those (naked or clothed) who choose pedal power over polluting petrol, thank you from Future Earth.

No comments: